Pressure Vessel Inspector
Repairs are required for pressure vessels in order to restore its original / intended operating condition, safe operation and to prolong trouble-free service life. The vessel condition deteriorates due to various factors, mainly Mechanical Problems, Process Related Problems and Corrosion Problems. Repairs are required to be planned and carried out under the strict supervision and control of a competant Inspector.
The Paper briefs the various steps involved in:
- Decision making for the repairs depending on location and nature of defect within the pressure vessel as per ASME as well as API 510 code.
- Welding procedure qualifications.
- Materials and Welding consumables to be used for procedure qualification.
- By using preheating methods where Impact testing is not a requirement.
- Method of "Temper bead techniques".
- Method of "Half bead technique".
- NDT that can be employed before,during and after welding.
- Necessity of PWHT and Hydrostatic tests.
- Repairs and precautions during overlay weld repairs.
- Methods and precautions to be taken during alterations and re-rating of pressure vessels.
- Aspects of reporting and re-inspection.
The Paper aims to brief the interested audience involved in welding inspection and repairs of pressure vessels that can be conducted in Shut downs within Chemical,Refinary,petrochemicals and Fertilizer industries; various methods of weld repairs and related activities such as tested as weldings.